Chocolate Almond Braid
If you are looking for a chocolate comfort snack – look no farther. This chocolate almond braid is so easy and so delicious that you will be asked to make it all the time. I have friends call me and ask me to bring them one when they are having a bad day!
Oh and heads up, the box of puff pastry sheets includes two sheets so you might as well buy two candy bars and enough nuts because the first time you make this, you will need the second braid as proof you made it. The first one will be gone so fast there will be nothing but crumbs left on the plate!
1 sheet Puff pastry
Your favorite monster chocolate bar
Egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water)
Crushed nuts (we love almonds) – this is garnish really so a 2 ounce bag is enough
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees F and line baking sheet with foil or parchment paper
- If you are using puff pastry from the freezer – allow to thaw in the fridge or on the counter (still sealed so it doesn’t dry out) until soft
- Unfold the puff pastry pressing down any splits to seal
- Set chocolate bar in the center of your puff pastry
- Using a sharp paring knife, start making diagonal cuts in puff pastry along each side of the chocolate bar about one inch apart
- When you reach the end, cut straight along edge of candy bar to end of puff pastry making a flat in pastry
- Toss the odd triangle ends from the four corners
- Starting at the top, pull the flap up and place on the chocolate bar, then start alternating left and right with the strips, overlaying them as you work your way about 3/4 down the chocolate bar
- Pause and fold up the flap on the bottom before continuing with the back and forth weaving until you reach the bottom of the chocolate bar
- Slip any extra puff pastry underneath the chocolate bar
- Gently move chocolate stuffed puff pastry braid to the foil or parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Lightly brush braid side of puff pastry with the egg wash
- Sprinkle crushed nuts on top of the egg washed puff pastry
- Bake at 415 degrees F for 25 – 30 minutes or until puff pastry is done and a beautiful golden brown
Remove from oven and let sit for 4-5 minutes. If you slice into it too soon, all the chocolate will ooze out!
Note: Chocolate will be HOT for a while..even when the outside of the pastry doesn’t feel hot so be careful when giving to little ones. Burned lips and tongues are not fun.
File this under appetizers, snacks, desserts..anytime you need a chocolate pick me up!