Amish Friendship Bread
~ Do not use any type of metal spoon or bowl for mixing.
~ Do not refrigerate.
~ Place plastic bag in a large bowl. Because if you forget the next step…it is a mess!
~ Batter will rise, bubble, and ferment … burp as needed.
Day 1 – Date starter was prepared / may not be the day you receive it. (They made have given it to you on day 3)
Day 2 – Mush the bag several times during day, burp as needed.
Day 3 – Mush the bag several times during day, burp as needed.
Day 4 – Mush the bag several times during day, burp as needed.
Day 5 – Mush the bag several times during day, burp as needed.
Day 6 – Add to the bag 1 cup each flour, sugar and milk. Mush the bag to mix.
Day 7 – Mush the bag several times during day, burp as needed
Day 8 – Mush the bag several times during day, burp as needed.
Day 9 – Mush the bag several times during day, burp as needed
Day 10 – Follow these instructions:
1. Pour the entire contents of the bag into a non-metal bowl.
2. Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Stir. Will be lumpy, try to stir without killing it!
3. Measure one cup batter into four 1-gallon Ziploc bags and give to friends along with a copy of the recipe. You can also freeze the starter at this point. When you are ready to start the rotation again, pull bag out of freezer and call it Day 1. Handle has you would normally. You can also use to bake bread on same day. Let thaw at room temp for at least three hours. Start on Step #5 to use right away.
4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
5. To the remaining batter add the following items:
1 cup oil ~ I use canola
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 cups flour
1 large box instant pudding or 2 small (any flavor – mix them up!)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup sugar (sugar, splenda or mix of both)
6. Grease 2 large loaf pans
7. In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup sugar and 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Dust the greased pans with 1/2 of this mixture. Options
8. Pour the batter evenly into the 2 pans and sprinkle the remaining sugar mixture over the top.
9. Bake 1 hour. Cool the bread until it loosens evenly from the pan (about 10 minutes). Serve warm or cold.
If you keep a starter for yourself, you will be baking every 10 days.