How to Cook No Mess Bacon
Bacon…. Oh that wonderful smelling, wonderful tasting breakfast food that will draw you out of the bed on a cold morning…wait.. that only works if someone else is cooking breakfast!
In reality, bacon splatters on your clothes, pops oil on your hands and burns in seconds if you leave the kitchen. Hang on to your favorite breakfast food…. Introducing NO MESS BACON!!
- Start by removing bacon from the packaging
- Trim the tails off and save for any other dish that you need to add flavor such as green beans
- Place either foil or parchment paper on a cookie sheet (makes clean up a snap)
- Separate bacon on cookie sheet. Allow space between slices
- Place cookie sheet in cold oven and set temp to 375 degrees
- Set timer for 10 minutes. Check to make sure cooking evenly, flip bacon (optional)
- Set timer for another 10 minutes but start smelling for doneness around the 7 minute mark, the longer you cook it, the crisper it will become (yes, you can still burn it)
- Remove from pan and drain excess grease with paper towels
- Don’t forget to turn off the oven (duh I know…but we have all left the oven on!)
~ If you remove the bacon at the 17 minute mark it will still be soft and flexible, cooking the full time will render a stiffer slice of bacon.
~ Flipping the bacon seems to help the coloring, but does nothing for the taste or consistency. Totally up to you, but I am usually busy doing other things and feel it defeats the purpose of not having the watch the bacon if I have to turn it over!
Bacon when cooking changes the way it smells just before going from done to burned! You will know it when you smell it! 🙂 But watch the timer until you see how your oven cooks.
Clean up is a snap when you use parchment paper or foil to line the pan!
Other tips for using bacon can be found on Kitchen Tips for Bacon