Italian Wedding Soup with Swiss Chard, Carrots, & Tomatoes
Have you ever enjoyed a bowl of Italian Wedding Soup? It is one of my favorites but I have never tried it with swiss chard. It certainly looks amazing and I will be giving this version a try really soon. Until then, I wanted to share this recipe with you as it would be a great fit in the line up of under 300 calorie dishes for the National Nutrition Month that the National Pasta Association (NPA) is promoting. Whew, that is a mouthful!
• 1 Tbsp./½ oz. extra virgin olive oil
• 1 cup/4 oz. finely chopped onion
• ½ cup/2 oz. finely chopped carrot
• 1 tsp. thyme leaves
• ½ tsp. finely chopped rosemary
• 1 Tbsp. finely chopped garlic
• 2 cup/2 oz. Swiss chard sliced into ¼” ribbons
• 4 cups no sodium added chicken broth*
• 1 (14 oz.) can plum tomatoes
• ¼ cup ancini de pepe Pasta
• ¼ cup sliced basil
*For a vegetarian or vegan option, simply substitute vegetable broth.
1. Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the oil, onion, carrot, thyme, and rosemary. Cook until the onions are softened and starting to brown (about 5 minutes).
2. Stir in the garlic and Swiss chard and continue to cook until aromatic (about 30 seconds). Add the stock, tomatoes, and acini de pepe. Bring to a simmer.
3. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the ancini de pepe is al dente (about 10 minutes). Taste and adjust seasoning.
4. Divide between 4 bowls and sprinkle with basil.
Doesn’t this Italian Wedding Soup with Swiss Chard, Carrots, & Tomatoes just look amazing? The recipe and image was shared with us through the National Pasta Association (NPA) and the Kellen Company. Credit for both are entirely theirs but I can’t wait to make this soup.
Here is a tutorial video on on three dishes:
Do you have a favorite recipe for Italian Wedding Soup? I would love to see it and possibly make it at my house.