Polenta-Crusted Fish Tacos with Spicy Mango Slaw
The first time I had these Polenta-Crusted Fish Tacos with Spicy Mango Slaw was in Florida when we were on vacation touring the Gulf Shores. Oh my, they were wonderful! I am not sure if I liked the fish or the slaw the best both together they are just amazing.
- 2 to 3 pieces of tilapia
- ¾ cups polenta (or fine cornmeal)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- olive oil
- cilantro and sliced radishes for garnish
- 4 to 6 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon chipotle hot sauce, like Tabasco
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup cabbage
- 1 mango, ripened but hard
- Make slaw by mixing the first five ingredients until smooth and then mixing it with the cabbage and mango. Set aside.
- Mix paprika and polenta together in a shallow bowl.
- Season tilapia strips with salt and press into polenta, making sure it’s completely covered. Discard excess polenta.
- Heat 1-2 Tblsp. of olive oil in your IMUSA non-stick sauté pan and once it begins to smoke, add the tilapia. Fry the tilapia in batches, about 2-3 minutes per side, until slightly browned and fully cooked. Remove onto a paper-towel lined dish.
- Heat corn tortillas in the IMUSA tortilla warmer and serve fish tacos.
- Assemble by placing some slaw in the center of the tortilla and one or two slices of tilapia on top. Top with cilantro leaves and radish.
Directions for slaw: Combine the cabbage and mango (both thinly sliced) with the mayonnaise, sour cream, hot sauce, lime juice, and salt. Toss to gently mix together.
This is another dish that I like to set up buffet style and allow my little ones to create their own dinner plate. They seem to enjoy it and they always eat better too. A win win in my book.
Photo and Recipe by George Duran for IMUSA