Simple Crockpot Zuppa Toscana
This is based off a similar soup served at Olive Garden. I have another version of Zuppa Toscana; but I needed one that I could just Toss & Go with my crockpot. Using the frozen hashbrown potatoes make a world of difference in the time without sacrificing any of the flavor.
What I like about this version is how little prep work is needed compared to the awesome results. Having browned sausage in the freezer really makes this a quick dish to put on before heading out the door.
- 1 small or 1/2 large bag Hashbrown Potatoes
- 1 lb Italian Sausage, browned and drained (Spicy is awesome in this)
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2-3 cups kale, washed and diced small
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less to your preference)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 Tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 cup evaporated milk or heavy cream
- Toss everything in the crockpot and cook for 6-8 hours on low, 3-4 on high
- Right before serving, slowly stir in the evaporated milk or heavy cream
Cook the sausage and onions together with the garlic and pepper flakes. It really deepens the flavors
I use both the evaporated milk and the heavy cream in mine. Love the extra creamy flavor
You can cut the cooking time down to a couple of hours if you will cook the kale before adding (microwave 5 minutes with a little water or simmer on stove until tender)