Slow Cooker Squash Medley
This Slow Cooker Squash Medley is a dump and go specialty! Simply toss everything in the slow cooker and walk away!
- 4-6 Summer Squash (Yellow Summer and Zucchini)
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 4-6 pieces of bacon
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt, Pepper and Garlic to taste
- This first step is optional. My cooker has a browning setting and so I usually do this step. Cut bacon into little pieces and cook with the onion until almost done. There is no need to add oil or butter (can’t believe I am saying there is no need for butter! Butter makes everything better!) Cook until onions are soft and starting to brown.
- Slice the squash into bite size pieces. These were small so I just sliced the whole squash. When they are larger, cut them in half lengthwise and then slice.
- Add 1/4 cup of water to help steam the squash and cover. Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 5-7 hours.
- Gently turn in pan a couple of times during cooking process. Be gentle so you don’t tear up the pieces as they become fragile as they are getting done. Stirring it too much and too hard creates a mess but doesn’t affect the taste! I have stirred it up on purpose to break up the pieces when I was planning on dumping it into a stew.
** Another great option is to prepare as above, drain and place in a casserole dish. Place 1 sleeve of Ritz crackers in a gallon baggie and crush the crackers. Melt one stick of butter and pour into baggie over the crackers. Shake baggie several times to coat all the crackers in the butter. Sprinkle the crushed buttered crackers over the squash in the casserole dish. Bake on 350 until crackers are browned.