Psalm 13:5-6 “But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing to the Lord, for he has been good to me.” (NIV)
Psalm 13 finds David in a great moment of despair, pursued and hounded by King Saul’s jealousy and hatred of him. When we head into moments of discouragement, if we are not careful they will morph into a state of despair which brings us to a point where our faith in God is questioned in our own mind. Why would God allow me to experience this, or think these things if he loved me and was with me?
My friends, if we stay at the low point of despair, the evil one will pounce on us and try to drive us toward spiritual defeat and eventually spiritual death. It is very important for those who live out Christ in this world to understand David’s example in Psalm 13 as to the antidote for despair in this world. Please save this devotional and when you feel discouraged and fall into the despair trap, pull it out and reflect on David’s prescription of active engagement with our God:
- Remember to trust in God’s unfailing LOVE. The most essential truth in the universe is that God loves you to the point that Jesus Christ died for you and you will never be separated from the love of God (Romans 8:37-39). In the depths of despair recall the LOVE of God for you.
- Flip the switch in your mind and turn on the light of your salvation from sin and REJOICE in it. How do I REJOICE (Philippians 4:4-7)?
- Recognize the Lord is near.
- Stay calm and give your anxiety to God.
- Pray with thanksgiving for what God has done, is doing, and will do in your life.
- Allow the peace of God which transcends understanding to envelop your thinking, motivation, and action.
- SING out to the Lord in praise that he has been good to me! Singing to God warms the heart, stabilizes the mind, and energizes the body.
FATHER, THANK YOU FOR YOUR LOVE, SALVATION, AND JOY IN THE LORD, AND HELP ME TO SHARE IT WITH THOSE I TOUCH IN THIS WORLD!
Article source: Mike White @ Summit Church of Christ