Pressure Cooker Ham and Bean Soup
Ham and Bean Soup is one of my all time favorites when I need a quick meal for the crew. It is so easy to make, and you can mix it up so it is a little different each time.
Make sure you read the note for a much faster version of this soup. I promise you will never know the difference in taste!
16 ounces dry white beans**
1 pound cubed ham
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 chopped yellow onion
8 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Rinse and pick through beans removing debris and shells.
2. Set up pressure cooker and press saute button to heat liner.
3. Once the pressure cooker display reads “HOT”, add the oil, carrots, celery, and onions, cooking until they start to soften (3-4 minutes).
4. Add the beans, ham, and broth to the pressure cooker.
5. Add the seasonings and stir to combine.
6. Set lid and lock in place, making sure to push vent knob to sealed or closed depending on your model of pressure cooker.
7. Press cancel to clear and then press manual (or pressure cook depending on your unit or model) adjusting the time to 30 minutes.
8. Once the cooking time is complete, allow the pressure to naturally release for at least 10 minutes to allow the foam from the beans to settle a little.
9. Finish releasing the pressure and stir well before serving.
**On those super short on time nights, grab 2-3 cans of white beans (Great Northern are perfect) and swap out for the dry beans. Rinse before adding to the pressure cooker and reduce the cook time to 5 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes and then vent to finish.
Looking for other pressure cooker recipes? We have a large list of our favorite recipes that have been adapted to be perfect for the pressure cooker.
Still thinking about buying a pressure cooker? We recommend the Instant Pot or the Power Pressure Cooker XL. Both are super simple to use, but in my opinion the Instant Pot offers a few more features and is a little more user friendly. Both however are solid units and work great!
My Must Have Instant Pot Cooking Accessories
The following links for recommended cooking accessories are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.